Hey,
I'm Rev. Terry Roos and I'm restarting a failed blog. I am a Presbyterian minister searching for ways to do Christianity in a new world in a new way. I want to involve prayers, hymns and liturgies from all religious paths and find a blend that will satisfy the needs of traditional Christians and speak to those who are trying to do Christianity in a way that doesn't work for them.
I'm not just talking about snappy choruses, pertinent prayers and short sermons that speak to more people. I'm talking about incorporating the best of the Christ Light that shines through the liturgies of all religious traditions.
What do you think about my ideas?
Terry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

First of all, I don't think your first blog was a "failed attempt." It was a chance to learn. (Otherwise I'd have a few "failed attempt" blogs myself.)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of using hymns, prayers and liturgies from all over to help us worship in a deeper way. Sometimes just a short phrase with an entirely unexpected combination of words causes us to stop and think and feel.
I was listening to an episode of Krista Tippett's Speaking of Faith (NPR) on creeds, and I found the Maasai Creed, which was written for the Maasai people of Africa in the 1960s. A couple of lines that I love are "Jesus...who left his home and was always on safari doing good..." and "He was buried in the grave, but the hyenas did not touch him..." When I use resources like this in worship, I become connected to others in a different way.
Good luck with your blog!
Suzanne
You are correct, freshworship, blog #1 was not a failure; it was a first attempt. However, I can say that I never received a comment as meaningful as yours; I never received a comment at all!
ReplyDeleteI have used pieces of the Maasai Creed in my previous church. Here's another resource for you if you are not already aware of it.
I am a second year student in a Spiritual Direction program called Spirations (you can find it on the web). It is directed by singer/songwriter/spiritual director Trish Bruxvoort Colligan. Trish and her husband, Richard, have just released a new CD called "Pilgrims to a New World." They are the real deal. You can check out their other music on The River's Voice.com, their musical website.
Thanks for your encouragement.
Terry